In which my iconoclasm manifests itself. . . December 1, 2006Posted by Administrator in Personal.
By cultural standards, I am Out There. Not by design. I don’t get up every day asking myself how I can Stick It To The Man. . .though I will admit a sneaky, snarky satisfaction in not following all the rules. Among the other ways I sometimes wander from the Cultural Mandates:
- Registered Independent
- Seven children in a culture that hates married sex almost as much as it hates kids
- Catholic (as opposed to Evangelical, the favorite beating horse of the Phayrungulites)
- Own old, non-descript cars
- Bike to work on most days (even when temps are well below 32)
- No TV/Cable
- Reading is the favorite pastime
- Almost never drinnk coffee.
This last is what sparked my muse, as Rick Moran has an extended post on the origin and meaning of the coffee bean. Fascinating reading, if pointless to an iconoclast.
Pharyngulists might be interested to know that I do in fact read the newspaper. . .but not with coffee.