Mark III Updated July 24, 2007Posted by Administrator in Creepiness, Cultural Pessimism, Idiots, Liberal Hypocrisy, Liberal self-loathing, Sports.
Before I delve still further into the twisted, upside-down idiocy that is our culture as illustrated by the Michael Vick Fever Swamp, let’s be clear on a few things:
- The man has been indicted for dogfighting.
- Dogfighting is a cruel, vicious bloodsport and people that participate in it are simple thugs who deserve ostracism from our society.
- If Vick is guilty, I have no problem at all with the idea of him serving jail time, being booted from the NFL, and generally put in public stocks and pelted with rotten vegetables.
OK? We clear? I am not endorsing dogfighting.
What I am saying is that there is a vast gulf in justice here, when we see how Vick is being treated for dogfighting while a few years ago Kobe Bryant -by comparison- got a free pass while he was on trial for rape charges in Colorado.
Let’s do some comparisons, shall we?
- Vick is being expected to sit out the season.
- Bryant was allowed to play; in fact, on numerous occasions, he would have a court appearance during the day, then would fly to an NBA city that night to participate in a Laker game
- Falcon headquarters is being besieged by PETA marchers.
- Laker headquarters made no report of picketing by NOW members.
- There is now speculation that the Falcons will never play Vick again
- At no time was there ever any discussion of Bryant ending his playing relationship with the Lakers.
WORST of all,
- Vick is now being compared to OJ Simpson:
Even if Vick finds a way to make puppies fly by joining the five percent of those who ever have beaten the feds, he’d become the Falcons’ O.J. Simpson in the eyes of thousands or millions — an African-American with lots of money who had the audacity to get away with something.
- While I find comparisons with OJ much more fitting in Bryant’s case, no such commentary was ever made that I am aware of.
So, dogfighting is comparable to the brutal knife-murder of one’s wife, but not as bad as rape.
I’ll say it again:
Is wrong with our culture????
The apparent code of criminal conduct for athletes rates as follows, ranked from mildest infraction to worst:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Use of steroids
- Betting on ballgames
- Murder of spouse
I think murder is placed correctly. But otherwise this list looks like it was put together by a badly confused five year old. Yet, in practical treatment of America’s athletes (our de facto royalty), that’s the line-up.
New Zealand, anyone?
UPDATE: Don Banks has it nailed. The NFL and the Falcons are in damage control because the public is in an uproar over this.
And it should be.
But it should ALSO have been in an uproar over Bryant, and abortion, and a host of more immediate idiocies.
But instead, we focus on the poor little doggies.